As you enjoy Halloween with your grandchildren, here are some suggestions about how to keep them safe:
- Practice trick or treating before Halloween to prevent meltdowns if they don’t receive their favorite candy. Remind them there will be many homes to visit.
- Costumes can be scratchy and uncomfortable to wear. Suggest that they wear undergarments.
- Don’t anticipate engaging in every planned activities. Understand your grandchild’s limits and only do what they want to do.
- Create a visual schedule such as a map of where you will be going. Discuss how to look before crossing streets and the buddy system. Create a contact card in case you get separated and pin it to your grandchild’s costume.
- Praise your grandchild for socializing and taking turns when trick or treating.
- Sort through the treats to make sure there is nothing that is not allowed if your grandchild is on a special diet.
- Enjoy the fun and be sure to suggest brushing teeth!