Gift Giving Tips
- Shop by catalog or online with children so they can help to select and anticipate what gifts they will receive.
- Consider giving gifts one at a time, before and after the holiday, when there is less noise, fewer distractions and more time for the child to focus on the toys and other presents.
- Children with autism do not typically like surprises: take gift requests. Wrap gifts in clear cellophane or place a picture of the gift from the catalog on the attached gift card. Avoid noisy or glitzy wrapping paper.
“Priceless” Gifts for the Holidays – and for all Occasions
- Volunteer your help or bring in treats to your grandchildren’s classrooms
- Help with housekeeping chores, i.e. laundry, cleaning, pet sitting
- Provide respite childcare so that parents can spend time together
- Take a grandchild to a regularly scheduled appointment or class
- Entertain siblings to enable more time for child with parents
- Freeze individual homemade meals for use when needed
- Offer your home for a family holiday or birthday party
- Invite grandchildren for sleepovers at your home
- Take your grandchild to the library weekly
- Offer to do carpools for a week or more
- Arrange for a play date in your home
- Take your grandchild on a picnic
Gift Suggestions for Any Budget
- Host birthday parties at local sites or offer to rent inflatable equipment at home
- Give an annual family membership to a favorite museum, acquarium, etc.
- Certificates for manicures, pedicures, massages or other spa services
- Coupons for restaurants, fast foods or meals delivered at home
- Gift cards for hobby/craft stores or for classes or supplies
- Sponsor a family day at the zoo or an amusement park
- Gift cards for department, electronic or book stores.
- Support school lunch costs for a month or more
- Sponsor a needed service, activity or program
- Music lessons or other enrichment classes
- Movie tickets and money for refreshments
- Tickets for plays, concerts, sports events
- Fund a housekeeper for a day or more
- Purchase health club memberships
- Host a sleepover at your home
Here are Gift Certificates that you can print and use for holidays, milestone events or for any day.
Gift Ideas for Teens and Adults
- Try a free trial membership together at a local gym
- Locate a new activity to join, e.g. bowling league, laser tag, YMCA or city sponsored group
- Watch CD’s or movies about a destination you want to visit and plan a trip to go there
- Give an annual membership to a favorite museum or other local attraction
- Gift certificates for personal care services, e.g. haircuts, manicures, massages, spa services
- Tickets for amusement parks, movies, concerts, sporting events
- Shop together for clothing, books, hobby or special interest items or research online for requested gifts
- Download apps for productivity and entertainment
- Commit time to sharing a favorite activity, once or on a regular basis throughout the year.